Tuesday, August 21, 2012



If you've recently crossed my path, you know this, but if not, here goes: At the end of August, I am stepping out of my "real" life for ten weeks. With the elegant title of "Obama Organizing Fellow" I'm relocating to the Gulf Coast of Florida where I will do my best to help get President Obama re-elected.
 
Even I am surprised by this decision and surprised (and delighted and honored) they chose me. It's exciting and anxiety-producing to be embarking on something unlike any of my prior experience. It's thrilling to be doing something that feels this important.

I'm a woman who loves being alone in a room with a computer or a book, pretty much avoiding the real world, but I hope the saying about old dogs and new tricks is wrong because as far as I can tell, I'm about to spend my days doing anything but sit in solitary contemplation. What I know is: I'm going to live in an unknown good-hearted family's home and be trained and then train others to do a variety of organizing activities. I'm going to swap living in the most liberal chunk of the U.S.A. for the west coast of Florida. Although at least in theory other "seniors" will be there, I am sure I'll be working alongside people who could be my grandchildren.

I'll be leaving my actual grandchildren, and children and husband and friends and puppy. I can only hope I'll be too busy to think of how much I will miss them all.

I am hoping for no hurricanes.

I am hoping nobody slams a door in my face.

I am hoping I can help make a difference.

That's about all I know at this point.

I was asked by several people to tell them how life as an Organizing Fellow was. One other thing that was stressed ins a conference call and interview was that there will not be a huge amount of free time. I'm committed to 40 hours a week but that seems to be a baseline. Hours are erratic and I will probably be even worse at keeping up with e-mails than I already am. Since I hope to keep a journal (something I  have never managed to do) it was suggested that I keep my journal as a blog and in that way, communicate with anyone who is interested in this geriatric adventure of mine. Thanks to a tutorial by son Matthew, I have now tiptoed onto blog turf.

So here it is, whatever it is. I don't know how often I will be able to post (or have anything of possible interest to say) but for those friends on Facebook, I think there is a way for me to link there saying there's a new blog. For those who aren't on Facebook, stop by when you think of it, click on the 'subscribe by e-mail' link (I think that will let you know when I've posted) and for everybody (except trolls) if I can figure out how to have you leave comments, please feel more than welcome to do so.

And now back to deciding what to pack...

24 comments:

  1. Oh this will be fun indeed. I only want stories about politicians doing things they shouldn't be. Looking forward to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely can't wait to read your posts. What a perfect marriage--one of the wittiest wisest writers I know and a subject I obsess over. Thank you so much for starting this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This should be a grand adventure, and I'll bet you get at least one book out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, you are an inspiration, stretching out of your comfort zone and committing to this. I have no doubt you will "do good" and have an amazing journey. And when you encounter those inevitable closed doors (and minds) just remember to smile and mutter "Bless your heart"...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're my hero (again!). I did this with MoveOn for the Kerry campaign, but in my neighborhood, not on the other side of the country. Two of us covered our whole end of town, but 70% of the registered voters came out election day, which surprised even us. One thing I did (being a writer) was to write up a flyer to pass out, not telling anyone who to vote for, but stressing the need to go vote, where the polling places were, what to do if someone tried to suppress their voting, etc., then made sure the flyers got into the hands of Kerry supporters and independents. So if people wouldn't answer their doors, I at least had something to leave behind. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you see the PBS news segment tonight on swing states. The FL reporter said organization is good in both campaigns, but much better in Obama's. 50 offices statewide. They're ready for you. Go get those undecideds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So proud of you, Judy. This is such an important election. Not only to get Obama elected but because it will effect the next 2 Supreme Court appointments. One presidential election may not change things, but two more conservative judges who sit for years and years certainly will. Women here could be repressed back to the 1800s. Thanks for this blog to let us follow vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those things Margaret said? She stole them from me. (wink wink)

    Those Supreme Court appointments are scaring me to death. Actually, the GOP platform is scaring me to death also.

    I look forward to reading your posts. Once again, you amaze me with all you do and I am SO proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're blue up here in Maine, Judy (that kind of blue, y'know), but Florida needs all of the help it can get. Go get 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so impressed with you for doing this and I know you'll get a book out of it. Even if you don't i can't wait to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am one proud momma and nana to know you! This ia very exciting and my grand-daughters will thank you because this means everything to their future......and nana's Medicard!
    Best of luck from another Obama woman working in her hometown.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brava, brava! You continue to inspire me--and a whole lot of others.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am going to apply an expression which I normally dislike and disdain, but in your case it is so appropriate: "Good for You". You are following a dream or an idea that has touched you and we always admire that quality. If I can be of any help to you in this endeavor, please call on me. I will be in Orlando mid-October. Will you still be in Florida at that time? And as far as the spouse, children, and grandchildren go, they will all survive and perhaps even thrive with the bragging rights. About the puppy, well I don't know......

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah yes, we only get one go-round on this earth and we may as well make it count. Good on you girl! Of course you're in line for a hurricane or two, and someone will definitely slam the door in your face, but it's all grist for the mill, and will surface, I'm sure, transformed in your next book.

    Jackie Kudler

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hurrah for you. Ditto to what everyone else is saying. Remember, if you need any help, moral support, or aspirin, just let me know. The last time we "worked" together we relied on the Kolmagorov Smirnov (sp????) Maybe it will be useful again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is so great that you are doing this.
    Jackie Rose

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just returned home and can't tell you how much I bragged aboutyou to total strangers. People thought I was talking about a college student or one of my adult children, not a peer and when I said childhood friend of mine,it blew their mind. Then I told them what party you were working for and they were so impressed with my friend....so am I. Can't wait to see you, hear about your work and all the good gossip stuff, hoping your work and people like you will keep my state on a solid Democratic footing. I see you as one of the characters in "Les Mis" video going forward into the war. Go get them solider. Love Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  18. More power to you, Judy! Florida will be the better for having you on the scene. There must be SOME "Undecideds" there.
    Bev Moffet

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are my idol! If anyone can keep any Floridians from the dark side, it's you. Just keep your sense of humor and keep the reports coming to those of us who don't have the gumption to be there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So terrific, Jude! Makes me proud, as if I needed another reason, to know you. I can't wait to hear your many stories upon your return. And just remember this, from a former Southerner, "Thank you," isn't sufficient in the South. When someone does something nice for you, it's "Thank you. I appreciate it." So thanks so much, Jude, for doing this for all of us. We truly do appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Judy,
    All the best to you in this wonderful endeavor.We are Neighborhood Core Team members here in Gold River. This is special and fantastic work you're doing.

    Steve and Terry Burns

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lots of good advice here, Judy. Having lived 10 years in Lou a Vul KY, I especially like the "Thank you and Bless your Heart" advice. I live in a very red county in Ohio so know you are bound to encounter some resistance and a bit of irrational thought. But you are gracious and charming and will prevail. One of my favorite moments during the convention was Wolf Blitzer interviewing Rahm Immanuel.
    Wolf: You look a bit worried, Rahm.
    Rahm. I'm Jewish. We're born worried.
    Onward !
    Linda Michaels

    ReplyDelete